A Messianic Prophecy Study Of The Book Of Zechariah
|Page Three of Study: Chapters 7 - 10|
|An independent grace oriented Messianic Jewish ministry, offering scripture studies, apologetics, poetry & more!|
MLC Facebook Group
Are you tired of all those Messianic social networks that are more focused on Torah observance than spreading the true gospel of grace? We invite you to join us to learn more about grace oriented teachings and fellowship with some great believers in Messiah Yeshua. Feel free to invite other believers to join too. Just click the above icon to join!
MLC Amazon.com Store
The Messianic Literary Corner's Amazon.com Associate Store offers Messianic &
Christian bibles, books, Kindle readers & books, audiobibles, bible study
software, video, music , games, Jewish foods, jewelry, religious items, apparel
and more. It's Amazon.com "shopping cart" makes navigation and purchasing secure
and easy. Click the image above to shop!
MLC New Poetry Showcase
The Messianic Literary Corner, formerly the Messianic Poetry Corner was launched in 1997. It's original poetry ministry continues with the works of over seventy poets. We hope you will enjoy the wealth of poetic "God-Praising" talent we have at MLC. Click the above icon to read our latest poetic offerings!
Thanks for visiting our newly reconstructed website. The Messianic Literary Corner (formerly the Messianic Poetry Corner) was launched in 1997 by Marshall Beeber, a Messianic Jew (Hebrew Christian) since 1973. MLC has evolved in its format to encompass "grace oriented" studies, basic prophetic teachings, scientific and archaeological apologetics, poetry and an Amazon.com associate store. - Read more at: http://www.messianic-literary.com/about.htm.
In Messiah's grace,
Marshall Beeber (Messianic Literary Corner director)
MLC's Facebook Internet webpage posting it's FB group's hotest topics!
Israel Today is a Jerusalem-based news agency providing a biblical and objective perspective on local news.
The Middle East Forum promotes American interests in the Middle East and protects Western values from Middle Eastern threats..
The Messianic Literary Corner's Financial Independence
The Messianic Literary Corner does not solicit donations of any sort, since its operating costs are minimal. If you desire to purchase any literature , video , audio or gifts from the MLC Amazon.com Associate Store a small commission is paid to me by Amazon.com for any store purchases. These funds are generally used to defray ongoing website operating costs. I hope you will check out the MLC Amazon.com Assocate Store when you have the chance!
Go to the "Messianic Literary Corner Amazon.com Associate Store" by clicking this link: http://www.messianic-literary.com/store.htm
Page Three of Study: Chapters 7 - 10
click for study section below
Chapters 7 thru 10 (Justice, Blessing & Judgment)
D. JUSTICE AND MERCY, NOT FASTING (ZECH.7:1-14)
1. Zech.7:1-3 "The people of Bethel had sent Sharezer and Regem-Melech together with their men, to entreat the Lord by asking the priests of the house of the Lord Almighty and the prophets, "Should I mourn and fast in the fifth and seventh month as I have done for so many years.
a. Judah in exile had instituted a fast to entreat the Lord during its 70 year exile. But, the Lord wasn't interested in the fast, but rather in the true motivations of the people of Israel.
b. In Chapter 7 the Lord is addressing the sin of Israel, which many individuals hadn't yet fully recognized, even after those many years in exile.
c. Bethel wasn't being singled out as being any more sinful than the rest of the nation, but rather its inhabitants were exemplary of many of the returning exiles.
2. Zech.7:4-7 When you fasted and mourned in the fifth and seventh months for the past seventy years, was it really for me that you fast and when you were eating and drinking were you not just feasting for your selves.
a. references of falsely fasting (Is.1:11-20,,. Is.58:1-5)
b. reference of true fasting (Is.58:6-14)
c. We see in these references that fasting is not considered an acceptable offering, until it is preceded by a humble, loving and obedient attitude by the believer. We also are accountable for our actions towards others in our walk of faith.
d. Jer.17:19-27 Keep the Sabbath Day Holy - The Sabbath is an example of how the Lord calls us not only to obey him in deed, but in our deepest motivations behind our deeds.
3. Zech.7:8-10 This is what the Lord Almighty says, administer true justice, show mercy and compassion to one another. Do not oppress the widow, or the fatherless, the alien, or the poor. In your hearts do not think evil of one another.
4. Zech.7:11-14 "But they refused to pay attention" (Is.9:10 the bricks have fallen, but we will build with dressed stones.)
a. It was not until the Messiah Yeshua walked the earth, that we truly saw these commands obeyed. Let us compare this portion of Zechariah to the Gospels. (Mt.5:1-48, Mt. 6 : 16-18(fasting), Mt.7:1-6(judging), Mt.8:14-17,...
b. The Lord is still dealing with the root of idolatry in Israel, after the exile. Pride and self concern are the root of sin. But. Sin must be dealt with and exposed before true repentance can take place,
c. The returning exiles are again reminded of their sin, so as not to dismiss its greatness and fall back into deceit and false religiosity.
E. The Lord Promises To Bless Jerusalem (Zech.8:1-23)
1. It does not appear initially, but chapter 8 is a continuation of chapter 7, which is a warning against false religiosity and hard heartedness. We shall see this as we progress.
2. Zech.8:2-8 A prophesy of Jerusalem's blessing in the Messianic Age
a. Zech.8 : 2 This is what the Lord Almighty says, " I am very jealous for Zion, I am burning with jealousy for her. (ref. Joel 2:18, Pr.6:34, 2Co.11:21)
i. Please note: Human jealousy is not altogether unlike Godly jealousy, in that Godly jealousy and human jealousy both desire to preserve the bonds of faithfulness as in a marriage. Godly jealousy though, does not possess the destructive tendencies of the flesh, but rather purposes to lead back His beloved to her "first love" relationship with the Lord.
b. Zech.8:3 This is what the Lord says, "I will return to Zion and dwell in Jerusalem. Then Jerusalem will be called the "City of Truth" and the mountain of the Lord Almighty will be called the Holy Mountain, (ref. Is.1:26, Joel 3:21, Zech. 1:16, Zech.2:10-11)
c. Zech.8:4-6 "Once again men and women of ripe old age will sit in the streets of Jerusalem, each with cane in hand because of his age. The city streets will be filled with boys and girls playing there. (This prophecy is fulfill led in Zechariah's time, but is marvelously fulfilled in the Messianic Age, due to a miraculous extension of mankind's natural lifespan. (ref. Is.65:20, Jer.30:20, 31:13)
d. Zech.8:7-8 " I will save my people from the countries of the east and the west. I will bring them back to live in Jerusalem; they will be my people and I will be faithful and righteous to them as their God. (ref. Is.11:11, 54:13, E?. .1. 1:19-20, 36:28, 37:12, Zech.10:10, Heb.8:10, Rom.11:26-27) (This prophecy was partially fulfilled in Zechariah's time, but it mostly points to the Messianic Age.)
3. Zechariah 8:9-13 (Let Your Hands Be Strong!)
a. These verses are an encouragement from the Lord at the time of the rebuilding of the temple (515 B.C.). This rebuilding foreshadows the future Messianic Age.
b. Zech.8:11-12 But now I will not deal with the remnant of this people as I did in the past, declares the Lord Almighty. (Is.12:1)
c. Zech.8:12 I will give all these things as an inheritance to the remnant of this people, (ref. Is.61:17, 60:21, Joel 2:22-27, Gc.27:28, Ob.1 ; 17)
d. Zech.8:13 As you have been an object of cursing among the nations, 0 Judah and Israel, so will I save you and you will be a blessing, (ref. Is.40:2, 52:1-3, 61:7)
4. Zech.8:14-19 The Lord Instructs Judah To Seek The Welfare Of One Another And To Turn Its Appointed Fast Days Into Happy Festivals.
a. The Lords instructions To Judah
i. Don't be afraid,
ii. Speak the truth to each other.
iii. Render true and sound judgment in your courts,
iv. Don't plot evil against your neighbor,
v. Don't swear falsely,
vi. Love truth and peace.
5. Zech.8:20-23 A Closing Prophecy Of Israel's Blessing In the Messianic Age.
a. Zech.8:20-]2 "And many peoples and powerful nations will come to Jerusalem to seek the Lord Almighty and to entreat Him. (ref. Is.2:2-3, 44:5, 45:14, 49:6, Zech .2:11)
b. Zech.8:23 "In those days ten man from all languages and nations will take firm the hold of one Jew by the hem of his robe and say "Let us go with you, because we have heard that God is with you." (ref. Is.60:14, 49:21-29)
F. An Oracle Of The Judgment Of Israel's Enemies & The Coming Of Zion's King (Zech. 9:1-17)
1. The Lord speaks of the judgment of Israel's enemies in the future. We are not given a time frame for their judgment, but history ? indicates the fall of many of these cities prior to the Common Era. An apocalyptic judgment is not negated in this prophecy, but it is not stressed either.
2. Zech.9:l The word of the Lord is against the land of Hadrach. (the ancient name for Syria - Smith's Bible Dictionary)
a. Hamath - principal city of upper Syria, in the valley of the Orontes (near Antioch). Descendants of Ham (Canaanites). Solomon's reign encompassed Hamath (IKi 4:21-24). The city is now called Hamtill .
b. Tyre - The commercial city of Phoenicia. (Hebrew = Ty or - rock) and its modern name is Sur in Lebanon. Tyre was laid siege by Alexander the Great in 332 B C and razed. It was rebuilt and was prosperous when Yeshua visited it in his ministry. (Mt 15:21).
c. Sidon - Wealthy Phoenician city on the eastern coast (now Lebanon). Its Hebrew name (Tsidon = fishery) and its modern name is Saida, Lebanon.
d. Ashkelon (or Ascalon) = (migration) One of the five major Philistine cities. Its a seaport 10 miles north of Gaza.
e. Gaza - (the fortified, the strong) Another one of the five major Philistine cities. The last town on the SW frontier facing Egypt. Alex . the Great laid siege to it for 5 months, but he was not able to subdue it.
f. Ashdod - (Azotus) = (a stronghold) Another of the five Philistine cities, ,10 miles north of SW frontier, between Gaza and Joppa. It was assigned to Judah by the Lord in Joshua's rule, but it was never subdued by Israel. It is now an insignificant village called Esdud.
g. Ekron - (torn up by the roots or emigration) Another Philistine city. Most northern of all five cities. Was allotted to Judah, but was never taken. Its modern name is Aki r , 5 miles SW of Ramleh, Syria.
3. The Coming Of Zion's King (Zech.9:9-13)
a. Zech.9:9 Rejoice greatly, 0 Daughter of Zion. Shout, Daughter of Jerusalem! See, your king comes to, righteous and having salvation, gentle and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey. (A first coming verse - ref. Mt . 21:5, John 12:15)
b. Zech.9:10 "He will proclaim peace to the nations. His rule will extend from sea to sea... (Messiah's future rule in the Messianic Age will be over the entire earth.) (ref. Hos.l:7, Micah 4:3, Is.2:4)
c. Zech.9:11-13 "Even now I announce that I will restore twice as much to you. (A promise of blessing in the Messianic Age.) (ref. Joel 2:22-27, 3:16, Dt.21:17, Is.40:2, 60:21, 61:17, Gen.27:28, Ob. 1 : 17)
4. The Lord Will Appear In Judgment Over The Earth (Zech.9:14-16)
a. Zech.9:14-15 Then the Lord will appear over them, his arrow will flash like lightning, (ref. Is.31:5, 66:15, Hab.3:ll, Zech.14:3-4, Mt.24:31)
b. Zech.9:16-17 The Lord will save them on that day as the flock of his people. They will sparkle in his land like jewels in a crown. (Is.10:20, Jer.31:11)
G. ZECHARIAH, CHAPTER TEN (The Lord Will Care For Judah)
1. The Lord's ever-present care for Israel is not taken to heart by its past spiritual leaders who practiced deceit (Zech.10:1-3)
a. Zech.10:1 He gives showers of rain to men and plants of the field to everyone. (Question? Is God only speaking of his provision of the physical, or is he using the physical to emphasize how we are utterly dependent on him for everything, especially the spiritual nourishment of the Lord, giving us righteousness and wisdom.) (ref. Psalm 104, Lev.26:3-13)
2. Zech.10:2-3 (The Lord Hates Deceit!) "The idols speak deceit, diviners see visions that lie, they tell dreams that are false, they give comfort in vain. Therefore my people wander like sheep oppressed for lack of a shepherd." (ref. Is.44:24~28, Jer.23:16-18, 23:1-6, 25:34-36, Kz.34:8-16)
3. Zech.10:3-6 (The Lord Will Again Strengthen Judah! )
a. What is the Lord's purpose in initially speaking of his kindness and then judgment, followed again by kindness?
b. Zech. 10:4 Front, Judah will come the cornerstone, from him the tent peg, from him the battle bow. (Ref. Ps.118:22, Is.22:23, 28:16-18, Zech. 9:10)
c. Zech. 10:6 "I will strengthen the house of Judah, I will restore them because I have compassion on them. They will be as though I had not rejected them, for I am the Lord their God and I "will answer them." (ref. Ps.102:13-18, Is.14:1-2, Ez.36:37 )
4. Zech.10:7-8 I will signal for them and gather them in., Surely I will redeem them, they will be as numerous as before, (ref. Jer.33:22, Ez.36:9,24-29)
5. Zech.10:9-11 "Though I scatter them among the peoples yet in distant lands they will remember me. They and their children will survive and they will return. (In reference to the post Babylonian exile and the times close to the end of this age.)
a. We read that Israel will return from both Egypt and Assyria, Does Egypt and Assyria symbolically represent demonic principalities in this present age? Parallels in the physical and demonic principalities:
i. Both Egypt and Assyria sought Israel's total destruction or subjugation.
ii. We refer to Rev.11:8, where Egypt is allegorically used as representing a demonic principality,
iii. Egypt symbolizes the world in its demonic and seductive pleasures that lull one into becoming a slave to it.
iv. Assyria symbolizes the utter depravity and hedonism the world offered that once winning us over seeks our destruction. (2Kings 18:51-32)
6. Zech.10:12 I will strengthen them in the Lord and in his name they will walk. (A prophecy for Zechariah's time and of the time approaching the return of the Messiah Yeshua.) (Micah 4:6-8)
click for study section below